Behind-The-Scenes: Darren Criss Covers Essential Homme Jan/Feb 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Tues, Nov 13, 9pm: I’m finally driving home after a non-stop, crazed day styling a few of my clients, including Darren, for the GQ Men Of The Year party being held at the Chateau Marmont tonight. I stopped by the party for a moment - I styled 2 spreads for the BIG issue (Parks & Rec and NASA’s Mars Rover team) so definitely wanted to say my hellos- and then headed out. All I can think about is taking a long, hot shower and then crawling into my bed.
During my commute home, my phone rings. It’s the Editor-in-Chief of Essential Homme, Terry Lu. After a few minutes of discussing the magazine’s most important Spring issue, I hang up. Darren Criss has been confirmed for their cover and he wants me to style the cover shoot in NY this Saturday! Did I mention he wants to meet with me tomorrow, IN NEW YORK?!
Wed, Nov 14, 5:30am: I’m at LAX waiting to board my flight to NY. Thank god I was able to book the first flight out! Functioning on an hour of sleep, I’m typing furiously on my laptop. Must send out emails immediately to showrooms requesting Spring/Summer 2013 looks for my cover shoot. I know I’ll be spending the entire flight emailing back and forth with showrooms, setting up pull appointments in NY, and wrapping up my projects back in LA.
Can I pull a huge shoot like this off in such a short amount of time? To be honest, I’ve learned to thrive on this feeling of uncertainty. The excitement, nervousness, and doubt are all typical feelings that a stylist goes through before a big job.
New York City, NY
Thurs, Nov 15, 6pm: I finally feel as if I can breathe.
All the looks I wanted are confirmed! Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Z Zegna, Pringle of Scotland, and Tommy Hilfiger are sending pieces directly to the shoot Saturday. I’ve scheduled messengers to pick up looks from additional designers tomorrow. I feel like screaming “YES!!!”
My favorite part of the day was spent going to showroom appointments. I love going all over Manhattan - it’s the only time I get to discover NY. And, nothing beats seeing beautifully crafted clothes from designers like Kenzo, Armani, Calvin Klein, and John Varvatos. Camo, stipes, and jewel-toned suiting?! I’m living for some of these pieces from Spring.
Unfortunately, I had to cancel my last 2 appointments because I couldn’t get a taxi to take me across town. I forgot that they finish up their shifts around 4:30/5pm so it’s impossible to get a taxi to take you anywhere around that time. Mental note for next time!
Fri, Nov 16: Here’s a few pics from today’s adventures:
Stopped by GQ for a quick meeting over afternoon tea.
Last appointment of the day led me near Bryant Park! Had to stop by and see this magical winter wonderland.
Ended the night having drinks with friends at the Boom Boom Room at the top of the Standard Hotel in the Meatpacking District. Gorgeous view of NYC!
Sat, Nov 17, 3pm: Here are some behind the scenes pics on set. We shot at the incredible Michelson Studio - huge 8’ windows overlooking the Hudson River. Unfortunately, the neighborhood was still feeling the effects from Hurricane Sandy. There was absolutely no heat inside the studio, and at about 40 degrees, everyone started bundling up and borrowing scarves and jackets from me. It was colder inside than it was outside!
I was able to recruit two of my dear friends to help me on set. Rolling racks were set up, clothes were organized, accessories were placed on their designated table, and possible looks were put together and hung on a separate rack. And all before the cover boy, Mr. Darren Criss, arrived an hour later!
Before starting the shoot, we all took a moment to soak in this beautiful sunset along the Hudson River. The views from this studio couldn’t be more breathless.
My favorite look:
I styled Darren in this lemon sheer paneled Kenzo sweater layered over a Louis Vuitton checkered shirt and finished with a Tommy Hilfiger navy twill jacket with cream leather baseball sleeves. I LOVED all the different textures to this athletic-inspired look. What’d you think?
And finally, after a couple of hours, we’re done. What a fun and memorable time! My friends were amazing - they’d continuously heat up cups of tea for Darren and I so we could at least warm our hands! Love my Style Crew!
From L-R: Mr. Darren Criss, me, Elgene, and Justin Min.
It was fantastic working with photographer Eli Schmidt who captured such stunning images. Get your copy of Essential Homme on newsstands Thursday, Jan 10.
Send me a TWEET and let me know what you think. Hope you liked it!
xx Besitos xx
RSS | Email | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram
- loveis-all-weneed reblogged this from ashleyweston
- loveis-all-weneed likes this
- auntiekeiko likes this
- callmeponty reblogged this from ashleyweston
- minimaldevotee likes this
- thatguydcriss reblogged this from crisscolfer-bubble
- thatguydcriss likes this
- xburntheashesx likes this
- kitkat511 reblogged this from notmenotyounotus
- kitkat511 likes this
- yeeitsanna reblogged this from crisscolfer-bubble
- crisscolfer-bubble reblogged this from notmenotyounotus
- notmenotyounotus reblogged this from staceysthings
- thetardismug reblogged this from hallowchaser
- castielsassbutts reblogged this from klainettana
- wecouldsingtogether reblogged this from ashleyweston
- whimsical-wonder likes this
- whackadooball likes this
- freakcorner reblogged this from darrencriss-news
- littlecheerioblaine reblogged this from ashleyweston
- darrencrust likes this
- goonyamu reblogged this from ashleyweston
- darknessbinding likes this
- chocolatewafflesandcoffee likes this
- bow-ties-and-hairspray reblogged this from waltzy
- couragesoawesome likes this
- hopechiawen reblogged this from darrencriss-news
- lessthan3puppy reblogged this from crisscolferklainelover
- blainesdefinitelygay reblogged this from ashleyweston
- craigy-ferg reblogged this from klainettana
- craigy-ferg likes this
- klainettana reblogged this from daxterdd
- wilfmott likes this
- i-ehm likes this
- whorehey-avocado likes this
- ulysses31dancer reblogged this from ashleyweston
- yanks02 reblogged this from ashleyweston
- sharpiesandguitars likes this
- sharpiesandguitars reblogged this from jennstarkid
- jennstarkid reblogged this from dapper-blanderson
- dapper-blanderson reblogged this from huntersmythe
- redheadhokie reblogged this from ashleyweston
- whatwasthatbob likes this
- whoreishmouth likes this
- christinedelozier likes this
- shedircas reblogged this from ashleyweston
- beccabooface reblogged this from quainefabray
- quainefabray reblogged this from ashleyweston
- rhodesstark likes this