I see a lot of articles and videos about all the possible ways of tying a scarf, but honestly they’re mostly useless, ugly or both! So these are the 4 best ways for how to tie scarves for men and how I tie scarfs on my clients for cold weather events or publications like GQ & Esquire. Throw out all the other ways to tie scarves, they’re a waste of time!
A quick, note about length, material and patterns
This and socks is one of the few places where you really can’t go wrong with any choice. So I always tell my clients to have at it and choose anything they think looks great, it’s a perfect way to show off your personality. So any colors, patterns, materials and lengths that you like, go for it! You can’t go wrong here.
Here’s the 4 best ways for a man to tie his scarf.
This way of wearing a scarf is perfect for those who don’t like anything wrapped around their neck but still want to keep warm. I like it because it’s easy to do and it looks nice. It doesn’t do too much to keep the front of your neck warm, but it does keep the back of your neck as well as the side of your coat nice and insulated.
Definitely wear this underneath your jacket or coat, it’ll keep it in place. Otherwise, it’ll move around a lot as you walk.
- Take the two ends of the scarf, have them hang equal length on either side of your neck.
- Now simply tuck in each side of the scarf under each lapel of your jacket or coat. It seals in the small gaps between your chest and coat to keep you nice and warm.
It’s a pretty standard way of wearing a scarf. You probably wore yours like this as a kid and it’s just fine for men. It’ll do what The Drape won’t do – keep the front of your neck warm.
- Start by putting the scarf behind your head and lowering one side to be twice as long as the other.
- Now wrap the longer side once around your head. The ends can be equally long or uneven. It doesn’t matter.
- Tuck the excess under your collar or lapel, if you want.
This is my absolute favorite way to tie a scarf on a man and the warmest way to tie a scarf. When I see men on the street wearing a scarf like this, I think it just looks so damn sharp! You can’t go wrong with this way of tying a scarf.
- Fold the scarf in half.
- Wrap it around the back of your neck.
- Tuck the loose ends through the loop created by the other side of the scarf.
- Adjust to desired tightness.
This way of tying a scarf tends to look best with longer scarves, but you can get away with it if you’re using a shorter one, too.
- Put the scarf around your neck, making both sides equal in length.
- Cross the two ends.
- Push one side up and under the other.
- Pull it tight (but not too tight—breathing is important even in winter!)
That’s it! Those are the best (and only) ways for a man to tie a scarf.