Why a V-Neck and Not a Crew Neck?
Crewnecks are okay, but they’re a more casual item. So for this reason, a V-Neck sweater is essential because it’s the classy mofo of the sweater world. V-necks add a touch of dressy formality that you just won’t get with a crewneck.
I love crewnecks, don’t get me wrong, but most guys don’t know how to wear them so then it starts looking really sloppy. I know some guys like the crew neck and tie or suit look, but I would choose a v-neck or cardigan sweater over a crewneck in this case almost every time.
V-Neck Sweater Do’s and Dont’s
- Wear them under Suits
- Wear them under a Blazer
- Wear them under Overcoats and Peacoats
- Wear them under Leather Jackets
- Wear them with or without a tie
- Wear them with Semi-Spread Collar Dress Shirts with the collar tucked into the “v”
- Wear them with Oxford Button Down Dress Shirts
- Wear them with Wool Trousers
- Wear them with Dark Wash Jeans
- Wear them with White Sneakers
- Wear them with Oxford Dress Shoes
- Wear them with Boots
- Let your partner borrow them to snuggle with or wear
- Throw them out if they get worn or thin around the elbows or the collar gets stretched out
- Wear them with a dress shirt and have the collar resting on top of the “v”
- Wear them with shorts
- Wear them over Polo Shirts (ever)
- Wear them over T-Shirts (ever)
- Wear them without any shirt underneath – gross!
- Wear them if they have any holes, pilling or they’re worn thin around the elbows
I prefer the V-Neck Sweaters I work with to be made of wool, – either regular or merino wool. Cashmere is also a great fabric, but it’s definitely on the pricier side. If you run a little warmer, then go for a wool/silk or cotton-blended sweater – Pima cotton is also great, but it stretches out very easily.
You need at least 1 black V-Neck Sweater in your closet. If you’ve got a black one already, grab a navy and/or charcoal gray version. These colors will go with everything else in your Essential Wardrobe. If you want a 3rd option, then a darker brown will also go pretty well with your wardrobe, too.
How Should a V-Neck Sweater Fit on a guy?
Check out my V-Neck Sweater fit guide for how (all) your sweater(s) should fit.
The Best Men’s V-Neck Sweaters
I love these because the fit, fabric weight, and overall construction is impeccable and I’ve worked with these brands many, many times.
I love each one of these v-neck sweaters, especially the H&M and Life After Denim sweaters. Even though they’re budget-friendly, the quality, fabric weight, and overall fit is really good.